HERE IS MY ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLU:
- If you haven’t done this yet, do it now. Sign up for Amazon Prime and Netflix. They have marvelous movies and television shows old and new to watch endlessly. I have become addicted to a few of these shows. “Grace and Frankie”, “The Crown”, “The Kolinsky Method” to name but a few. I suggest you hunker down with some buttered popcorn and binge watch a few of these very well written, beautifully acted, series.
2. If your library is open and if you want to take a chance of possibly running into a human being, then take a walk to your library and maybe take out a book or two and a movie or two. My movie suggestion for the over 60 crowd, “Something’s Got To Give” and “It’s Complicated” Even if you have seen these in the past they are both worth seeing again.
3. For exercise, while sitting around your home… I have a stationary bike. I bought it for about $250 several years ago and it sits in my office. Ride your bike. The gym is closed in my apartment building, as is the pool, so the bike will have to do. I have added a few morning light exercises to do in my bedroom in the morning. For weights, I have two dictionaries. I hold one in each hand and lift the books. They make great weights.
4. Bored? You can always do a nice Spring Clean. How about looking in your closet? Can you toss out anything or reorganize your junk drawer?
5. READ! I have about three shelves of books in my bookcases that I haven’t even read yet. Get comfy and fluff a few pillows to lean against and start reading.
6. We might be trapped in our homes for possibly weeks or longer. I bought myself a set of colored pencils and crayons. I already had the paper. I am going to create a few masterpieces while whiling away the hours.
7. Since I write a blog I decided to do some more writing. I have a few ideas for a book and a play. I decided to take my ideas and put them to paper. Maybe write yourself a poem?
8. This particular Pandemic has really hit my particular business, therefore I will use my computer to see if our very reliable government will step up and help me with a loan to keep my business afloat. See if you might qualify for a loan.
9. Stay in touch with your friends and family by phone, email, and Facebook. It is good to keep in touch even if touching is forbidden.
10. VIRTUAL SEX! Here is the most controversial of all of my recommendations. WHY NOT? Do you have a boyfriend or a girlfriend or two or three in this country or somewhere across the ocean that is interested in you? Well then, how about some erotic conversations? Frankly, this is the cleanest, safest way to go when adding sex to a relationship. No pesky sexual diseases to worry about, no viruses to catch. Heck, this is pretty safe, any way you look at it. What can make a pandemic fun and interesting? Sex, of course. The same thing goes for happily married couples. If you are both hunkered down in your home and feeling fine, WELL THEN??? How about some over 60 sex? It sounds like a very good way to go anyway.
Until We Meet Again …
WELL, WELL, WELL, here we all are sitting in our houses, condos, and apartments hiding out and waiting it out before we are allowed to go back and enter the world. If you are over 60 and reading this blog that means that you are a baby boomer. Our parents probably fought or worked through or lived through WWII and by now most people from that generation are considered to be “the greatest generation.” I totally 100% agree with this sentiment. They were a great generation of men and women, however, let us not diminish the incredible changes, the ups and down’s that our own generation has had to adapt to in our lives so far. I have another name for our generation. I call us “The Flexible Generation.” We have had to become very flexible. We arrived sometime after WWII. President Truman dropped not one but two nuclear weapons on Japan to end the war. Then some of our parents went on to Korea to fight another war. Some fathers went back to work or started their own businesses. Most of our dads went to work every day while our mother’s stayed home to raise us and they were called housewives or homemakers. Our generation took classes in high school to teach us how to cook and sew and make ashtrays so that we would grow into becoming good wives. Boys often took shop to learn how to make tables and chairs and they learned how to fix a car. If a woman wanted to work she learned how to type or she became a teacher or a nurse. That was about it.
EVERYTHING CHANGED AND CHANGED AND CHANGED AND CHANGED SOME MORE. I blushed and was shy to be kissed by a boy in high school. We went from that to the sexual revolution, sex, drugs, and rock & roll. We went from watching Lassie to watching man land on the moon. Some of our heroes were Marin Luther King and President Kennedy and they were assassinated. Women went from housewives to Women’s Lib. Now there are more women in law school than men and more women in medical school than men. Gay men and women went from hiding in the closet to come out of the closet wearing the other gender’s clothes.
And now folks, WE HAVE THE CORONAVIRUS and now WE ARE THE OLD FOLKS THAT CAN CATCH THIS VIRUS AND POSSIBLY DIE FROM IT!
GUESS WHAT??? WE AREN’T AFRAID!! Are you kidding? Just look at what we have been through so far. Most of us have lost our parents, some of us have lost siblings, partners, husbands, and wives, some of us have lost money, businesses, dear friends, lovers, and some have even lost their children. Flu, Viruses, Death, Hells Bells, is a mere epidemic going to scare us??? NO!!!! Some of us have faced death before, some more than once!
What are we going to do about it?? This is what we do. This is why we made it to being over 60 in the first place. Most of us are careful, thoughtful and well, pretty smart. We stocked up on essentials, two weeks worth. We keep as sanitized as possible and we continue to enjoy life. WE ARE THE FLEXIBLE GENERATION.
As for me, I got my hair cut and my nails done before they closed the salons. Heck, I know what is really important in life and that is having a cute hairstyle and pretty nails and toes. If I am going to go to the “great beyond” I am going with a nice cut and “bronze peach” colored nails. Make sure you have some wine delivered and watch a good movie tonight.
Stay safe, stay calm, stay cheerful and wash your hands!